Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The joy of whole foods


I'm a TEDTalk junkie. Yesterday I was focused on the presentations related to food and farming. Jamie Oliver's presentation was my favorite of the day. You can watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go_QOzc79Uc

  Today's society has horrible eating habits. It's very important to plan your meals and cook your own food, and get away from the "add water and microwave" habit that so many suffer from these days. People don't know a thing about nutrition and healthy habits anymore. They fear food, and don't realize that they can eat well AND enjoy every bite. Once you educate yourself about where food comes from, how whole foods can be combined to create amazingly delicious meals that are good for you, the gargantuan amount of veggies, spices, cooking methods, and the benefits of actually caring about these things, you can live a healthier and happier life. Don't even get me started on GARDENING your own food. You ever held a bunch of Romas in your hands that you raised from seed? Love, man.
I was on the Paleo diet once. I hate the word "diet," and I didn't follow it exactly. But what I did was cut meat out of my diet, as well as dairy, sweets, butter, and anything processed. I still ate fish and eggs. I cut down on things like bread and pasta. I would experiment with different veggies, sautéing them up in a skillet with olive oil, garlic, thyme, basil, sage, peppers, you name it. I would throw these concoctions over a small amount of rice or vermicelli, and enjoy the shit out of it. I would have eggs and spinach and peppers and mushroom and baguette for breakfast, snack on veggies in the afternoon, eat avocado turkey sandwiches for lunch, blah blah blah. Long story short, I felt amazing. It was fun to ear things that were fresh from the earth, not tampered with. I had more energy, my skin was clear, my eyes were whiter, and I didn't have any aches or pain in my back. It was awesome. Go to http://www.ted.com/ and get yourself some education! Otherwise Netflix has some illuminating documentaries.

No comments: